The ruined Fukushima nuclear plant leaked radioactive water, but no one was injured

Feb 8, 2024



Tokyo: highly radioactive water A treatment machine leaked at the tsunami-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, but no one knew Injured The utility operator said Thursday that radiation monitoring shows no impact on the external environment. Tokyo Electric Power Co Holdings said a plant worker discovered the leak Wednesday morning while checking a valve in the SARRY treatment machine, which is designed to remove cesium from contaminated water. The machine has been deactivated for maintenance work.
An estimated 5.5 metric tons (6 tons) of radioactive water – enough to fill two ordinary backyard swimming pools – leak A pool of water was released onto the iron plate outside through an air vent and seeped into the soil around it, but no radioactive water left the complex, TEPCO said.
It's not clear when the machine started leaking, but TEPCO said an inspection Tuesday found no problems.
The leak may have been caused by valves being accidentally left open while workers were flushing the machine with filtered water. TEPCO said that 10 of 16 valves that should have been closed were left open during flushing, and the leak stopped when the valves were closed.
No increase in radiation levels has been observed around the plant and inside the gutters in the complex.
The filtering machine is part of TEPCO's controversial waste water discharge project, which began in August. The Fukushima Daiichi plant suffered a triple meltdown after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
The discharge, which is expected to continue for decades, has been strongly protested by fishing groups and neighboring countries, including China, which immediately banned imports of all Japanese seafood.
The latest spill comes just months after another accidental spill at a separate treatment facility called the Advanced Liquid Processing System, or ALPS.
In that accident, four workers were sprayed with radioactive liquid waste while cleaning ALPS piping. Although two of them were briefly hospitalized due to skin contamination, neither showed symptoms of poisoning.



Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *